MEN’S BASKETBALL GAME TIME

After three games of conference play, the men’s basketball team is still trying to accomplish a task that took nearly two months last season: winning a Big East game.

USF’s latest attempt was an 81-55 loss to Louisville on Wednesday at the Sun Dome.

The Bulls host Cincinnati on Sunday afternoon with the hope of avoiding a fourth straight loss.

The Bearcats, the only other Big East team without a conference win, are also riding a three-game losing streak and are coming off a 54-42 loss to Rutgers on Sunday.

Cincinnati is led by forward John Williamson, who is averaging 14.1 points and 7.9 rebounds per game.

USF has lost its three conference games by an average of 22 points, while being outscored 66-4 in points off the bench.

Freshman Amu Saaka scored all four of those points, and while coach Robert McCullum said after the loss to the Cardinals that the lack of scoring from the bench has affected the Bulls, he pointed out that several of his bench seats are being used by injured players.

Point guard Chris Howard returned from his multiple anterior cruciate ligament injuries Wednesday, but Zaronn Cann, Dante Curry, Aris Williams and Chris Capko are all out.

The matchup with the Bearcats is just the fourth conference game for USF, but with only the top 12 teams in the 16-team conference advancing to the Big East Tournament in March, McCullum said he considers Sunday’s game a must-win.

Keep an eye on: center Kentrell Gransberry. The junior transfer from LSU was forced to sit out last season and the first seven games this season. Gransberry has four double-doubles and has reached double figures nine times in his first 10 games.

When: Sun., 2 p.m.Where: Sun DomeTV/Radio: ESPN360, 1250 AM