Linebacker missed practice, expected to play in bowl game

It took just one play against West Virginia to knock out senior linebacker Pat St. Louis.

So now, for the next two weeks, the Bulls will be practicing without one of their most seasoned players. St. Louis, who also tweaked his right hamstring against Louisville on Nov. 18, sat out of practice Monday – the team’s first since accepting the invitation to the Papajohns.com Bowl.

Defensive Coordinator Wally Burnham said they will take it slow with St. Louis, but doesn’t expect the injury to stop him from playing on Dec. 23.

“He’s going to find a way to play, that’s for sure, and we plan on having him,” Burnham said. “He’s out here and that’s what matters. He’s been around, so it’s not like he’s going to forget what to do when he comes back.

“We really don’t expect to get him back to practice the week we head up Birmingham.”

Bull bits: USF usually uses December to evaluate other players at other positions, and on Monday, the practice team gave linebacker Marvin Peoples, whose only playing time has been on special teams, a look at fullback. … Former USF defensive line coach Earl Lane, who now holds the same position at LSU, attended practice Monday while recruiting through Florida. … Receiver Amp Hill, cornerback Courtney Denson and safety Carlton Williams all missed practice to take exams.