All American Rejects ‘move along’ to USF

The All-American Rejects have certainly come a long way. In less than six months the band has evolved from an opening act into a headlining pop powerhouse. The release of the first single “Dirty Little Secret” off sophomore album Move Along started the momentum in late 2005. “Dirty Little Secret” was a smash hit, peaking at No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

After the release of the songs “Move Along,” which hit No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, “Top of the World” and “It Ends Tonight” – which is currently No. 18 – the Rejects return for the fall 2006 Tornado Tour, which hits the Sun Dome tonight. This time they are headlining.

Last April, The All-American Rejects opened for Fall Out Boy in the Black Clouds and Underdogs Tour. The show, after a last-minute location change from the St. Pete Times Forum to the Sun Dome, featured a slew of angry ticket holders who were forced to wait in line for seats they had already purchased. Then Rejects frontman Tyson Ritter made an anti-climatic entrance, appearing on stage in a silver sheet. When he dropped the sheet, he inadvertently revealed his bare bottom, according to Ink19.com. One can only wonder what to expect from this show.

“I expect a lot from them … a bunch of craziness. They are great band,” said freshman Daniel Southard. The Tornado Tour has the Rejects traveling all over the United States, from Virginia and Tennessee on the East Coast to California out West. They will even have a stop in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

“I was ecstatic,” said Southard about his reaction when he found out about the show from his friends. “I’ve never been (to an All-American Rejects show).”

Joining the quartet for the tour is Motion City Soundtrack, The Starting Line, The Format and Gym Class Heroes.

“I love Motion City (Soundtrack). I’d go to see them. It has that pop feel to it.”

When asked if she was a fan of The All-American Rejects, freshman Kate Anonson said, “I’m a minor fan. I don’t own any of their CDs, but I would recognize their music.” Anonson had other plans for the night but said she would probably go if she didn’t. “(I like) mostly rock. (The All-American Rejects) are rock, but they have a lot of mainstream pop.”

Doors open at 5:30 p.m., and the show starts at 6:30. Tickets are $25, and the show is general admission. According to Shadow Ward, the marketing and public relations coordinator for the Sun Dome, the promoters for The All-American Rejects lowered ticket prices for students with a valid USF ID to $12.50 plus a $3 service charge. One ticket for every student ID can be purchased at the Sun Dome Ticket office outside Entry 3.

Ward also said radio station 93.3 FLZ will have promotional activities outside Entry 4 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Jim, an on-air talent with the station, said it’s “Your standard thing that we do, just go out there and do a couple call-ins, you know, we’ll have some vehicles out there, some tents, you know, the whole glitz and glamour aspect of it, just a tailgate thing.”