Grothe will be ready for Saturday

Go ahead and breathe, Bulls fans – quarterback Matt Grothe is OK once again. Though the redshirt freshman may have a bothersome right foot – whether it’s turf toe, strained ligaments or just athlete’s foot – it looks like Grothe won’t miss a snap this weekend.

But for the second time this season, Grothe’s right foot was confined to a boot and he was sidelined during Monday’s practice.

Coach Jim Leavitt was uncertain what exactly the injury to Grothe’s foot is, but it appears Grothe reaggravated the strained ligaments in the top of his foot that he suffered in the Oct. 7 Connecticut game. On Saturday, Grothe had to leave the game in the third play of the fourth quarter and did not return.

“It’s not as bad as last time,” Leavitt said. “That’s what they tell me. He didn’t practice, but he’ll be fine for Saturday, but really, I didn’t even know it was the same foot.”

MORE TV: The Nov. 18 game at No. 3 Louisville has been slated for a night kickoff, which will either be 7:45 p.m. on ESPN or 7 p.m. on ESPN2 or ESPNU. A decision will be made Saturday night or Sunday following results of the Cardinals at No. 15 Rutgers game Thursday.

BULL BITS: Cornerback Trae Williams, who leads the Bulls and the Big East with six interceptions, earned Big East Defensive Player of the Week honors, the conference announced Monday. The junior had seven tackles, an interception and a deflected pass that led to an interception against Pittsburgh on Saturday. Grothe was also named to the Big East Honor Roll, as he completed 19 of 25 passes for 180 yards and had a rushing touchdown.