More changes discussed for student senate

In its seventh meeting of the fall semester, Student Government senate worked on making changes to the way it operates.

The most noticeable of these changes began with the suggestion that senate’s use of the Phyllis P. Marshall Center’s ballroom might not be necessary, as the entire branch is capable of fitting into a much smaller room. At Tuesday’s meeting, senate chose to convene in the Campus View East room on the fourth floor of the Marshall Center. However, as senate President Pro-Tempore Nathan Davison stated, this room may not continue to be a permanent home for the meetings, and Davison will continue to seek an appropriate venue.

Another change to come into effect was the resignation of Sen. Mark Vila from his position as University Relations Committee (URC) chair. Vila said he could not dedicate to the position the adequate amount of time it requires and hopes that whoever takes on the position will give it the attention it deserves.

The URC is a relatively new group responsible for communicating with University-wide Committees (UWCs) on a variety of topics ranging from such things as Title IX – which deals with women’s right to play the same sports as men – to sexual orientation issues. The University president and the provost create the UWCs, which serve as a guide for gauging where students’ opinions lie in relation to situations the University is handling. All UWCs are composed of both faculty and students.

At Tuesday’s meeting, senators were given the opportunity to nominate and vote to elect another senator to this position. While four were nominated, only two – senators Jason Taylor and Kyle Neil – accepted and further went on to give speeches and answer questions pertaining to their qualifications for the position. In the end, the senate elected Neil.

Senate meetings are held every Tuesday night at 6 and are open to the public.