Volleyball beats Syracuse, falls short against Marquette

The USF volleyball team started the weekend with a commanding 3-0 win over Big East foe Syracuse (3-16, 0-3) at the Corral on Friday, but the Bulls fell short of a comeback against Marquette (6-8, 2-1) in a 3-2 defeat Sunday.

The Bulls (6-9, 2-1) were in control throughout most of the match against the Orange but were tested against the Golden Eagles. After falling behind two games, the Bulls won the next two games to even the match for Game 5. In the final game, the Bulls took an early 6-3 lead after redshirt freshman Marcela Gurgel scored two of her 16 kills, but the Bulls couldn’t hold onto the lead and fell 15-11.

“I am extremely proud of the effort and perseverance we showed,” coach Claire Lessinger said. “We were really flat in the first two games and didn’t do anything to get the crowd into the game and use our home-court advantage.”

Gurgel continued her standout season, leading the team with 41 kills this weekend. Lessinger said she has been impressed with Gurgel’s performance, but not surprised.

“(Gurgel) is exactly what we expected when we recruited her,” Lessinger said. “The level of competition she played at in Brazil made for an easy transition into college-level volleyball. There are times when she still shows that she is a freshman, but overall I am very pleased.”