Student volunteer program recruiting on campus today

International Student Volunteers offers students the opportunity to help restore the habitats in New Zealand, teach English to children in Thailand or go whitewater rafting on the Pacuare River in Costa Rica.

“We’ve been doing this for almost 24 years, and we’ve changed the lives of thousands of students during this time,” ISV recruiter Ellen Cairns said. “Everyone who goes on one of our programs comes home with a sense of fulfillment, new friends, awesome memories and crazy photos of the things they did on their adventure tour.”

ISV is holding informative meetings today every hour from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in Phyllis P. Marshall Center room 106. There will also be former participants who will discuss their previous experiences.

The ISV program is a non-profit organization with the purpose of making a difference in peoples’ lives through volunteers who are interested in communities abroad. Two recruiters from New Zealand, Cairns and Nick Ison, are touring college campuses in Florida informing students about the opportunities ISV offers.

Students can choose from a list of countries, including Ecuador, Australia and the Dominican Republic. Public service is not ISV’s only focus, however; Ison and Cairns also speak about outdoor adventures ISV offers, such as scuba diving in Thailand or sea kayaking in New Zealand.

“Anyone can come on one of our programs next summer, no matter what major, no matter what previous volunteer experience,” Cairns said. “All we require are students who are willing to learn as much about the country they’re in and that they give (all) of themselves (while) in their host country.”