Court date set for attacker

The student charged with attacking a University official on campus last month will be arraigned on Oct. 4, a spokeswoman for Assistant State Attorney Pam Bondi said Wednesday.

Thomas Wayne Marshall, 27, will face the charge of battery on specified official – a third-degree felony – and could face up to five years in prison if convicted.

He also faces misdemeanor charges of disrupting a campus function and resisting arrest without violence.

On Aug. 30, Marshall attacked Assistant Dean of Student Affairs Jason Spratt during a meeting. Spratt was conducting an official Student Affairs investigation into Marshall’s previous actions.

According to a University Police report, Marshall lunged over Spratt’s desk, repeatedly punching Spratt in the face and executing a chokehold. Spratt eventually subdued the 6-foot-7, 285-pound Marshall until UP arrived. Both were bloodied during the brawl, suffering cuts to their faces and hands.

Marshall’s trouble with UP began about two weeks before fall classes started, when he told UP he was homeless and living around campus until his room in Kappa Hall opened for fall classes, a report said. UP cited him for trespassing, which led to his meeting with Spratt.

It is unclear whether Marshall has been expelled from USF, but his name is not listed in USF’s online directory for students. Calls to Student Affairs late Wednesday afternoon were not immediately returned.

The arraignment is set for 8:30 a.m. at the Felony, Division D courthouse at 801 Twiggs St. in downtown Tampa.