Three suspended players out for Saturday’s game, possibly more

Coach Jim Leavitt said at Tuesday’s media luncheon that running back Ricky Ponton, defensive end Josh Julmiste and wide receiver Jackie Chambers will not play in Saturday’s game at UCF. The three were suspended before the season started due to violation of team rules and missed the games against McNeese State and Florida International.

“They’re not going to play Saturday,” Leavitt said.

Who will start?: The depth chart for Saturday has several players listed at No. 1 for their respective positions even though they didn’t start in USF’s 21-20 win against FIU, but Leavitt said at practice Tuesday that it doesn’t necessarily mean those players will start.

Junior left tackle Jared Carnes started the first two games, but this week he is listed second behind senior Thed Watson.

Watson played against McNeese State, but a foot injury sidelined him against FIU.

Also on the offensive line, sophomore right tackle Marc Dile is listed ahead of redshirt freshman Danny Tolley. Dile started against McNeese State but left the game in the fourth quarter after injuring his left knee, while Tolley started last week against the Golden Panthers.

After getting arrested for a DUI on Sept. 5, senior tight end Will Bleakley didn’t start against FIU but is back atop the depth chart for Saturday. However, Leavitt said tight ends Devin Gordon, Cedric Hill and Ben Busbee are also likely to play.

Sophomore running back Benjamin Williams, who started against the Golden Panthers in place of Moise Plancher (knee), is listed as the No. 1 back, but Leavitt said senior Walt Smith and freshman Keeley Dorsey will also play.

On the defensive side, the only change in the depth chart is junior defensive end Jarriett Buie, who is listed ahead of junior Treco Bellamy at left end. Junior Woody George started Saturday at left end but also played at tackle.

Volleyball: Redshirt freshman Marcela Gurgel is ranked seventh in the nation in aces per game with 24 aces in 29 games for a .83 average per game. Gurgel is also ranked 16th in kills per game with 142 kills and a 4.90 average per game.

New golf coach: Kelly Lagedrost, a former member of the women’s golf team, was hired Tuesday as the Bulls’ interim coach. Lagedrost, who played for former USF coach Susan Holt from 1998-2001, is a member of the LPGA and has made 59 cuts in her five-year professional career.

Women’s soccer honors: The Big East announced Tuesday that women’s soccer freshman Jaleesa Scott is the conference’s Big East Rookie of the Week. Scott scored game-winning goals in both the 1-0 upset over No. 23 Marquette University and the 3-0 win against Stetson.