Sexually Speaking

Dear Alexis, I read your column about Kegel exercises and decided to give it a try. It has made a difference in my sex life, and my boyfriend really seems to enjoy it. I was wondering if guys can do Kegel exercises to,o or if it was really only for girls?

-Sharing the joy Dear Sharing the joy,

Absolutely! Just as women can strengthen the pelvic muscles with Kegel exercises, men can use them to strengthen the muscles surrounding the penis. Since these muscles are usually only contracted during ejaculation, they tend to be weak. Male Kegel exercises help strengthen the muscles surrounding the penis, which allows men to experience more satisfying orgasms and maintain better control of ejaculation. By strengthening these pubococcygeal muscles, males may be able to achieve orgasm without ejaculation and perhaps even reach multiple climaxes during intercourse.

Be Safe and Have Fun! -Alexis

How to do male Kegel exercises: The muscles you will be strengthening are those that are squeezed in order to stop the flow of urine. When the penis is flaccid and these muscles are squeezed, there is a slight movement of the penis. When the penis is erect and the muscles are squeezed, it moves up and down. 1. Start by squeezing and relaxing these muscles in 15 short bursts twice a day.

2. When able, gradually increase the number of contractions from 15 at any one time to 60.

3. The next step is to contract these muscles for a slightly longer period three seconds at a time.

4. After a while, you should be able to practice 60 long (three seconds) and 60 short contractions twice a day.

5. You should start noticing results after one month of regular exercises.

Sources:

Greenberg, Jerrold S. Exploring The Dimensions Of Human Sexuality. 2nd ed. Ed. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlet Publishers, Inc., 2004.

Zilbergeld, B. The new male sexuality: A guide to sexual fulfillment. New York: Bantam Books, 1992.