A letter from the editor

As USF celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, The Oracle will be quietly celebrating its own anniversary. On Sept. 6, the paper will be 40 years old.

Both the University and the paper have come leaps and bounds since their respective inceptions, but both still have a long way to go. Let’s face it: ESPN analysts still can’t pinpoint quite where USF is – if they can even remember what the acronym stands for – and The Oracle, though an award-winning paper, can be bigger and better. We outrank The Independent Florida Alligator, but we’re still gunning for the The Red & Black and we’re certainly not The Harvard Crimson.

Rivalries aside, one thing those papers have that we lack is a strong tie to the University community. There are myriad reasons (or excuses, depending on your point of view) as to why that might be – commuter students, editorial decisions, strong local competition – but the simple fact of the matter is that this paper isn’t as close to its audience as it could be – and it’s time to change that.

The Oracle will be expanding and trying new things over the course of the coming year, and we want increased student involvement to be a part of it. Our staff has eyes and ears all over campus, but we can’t be everywhere all the time. That’s where you come in.

This newspaper is by and for the USF community in general and students in particular – make it yours. See something going down on campus? Let us know about it. Better yet, pull out your newfangled camera phone and snap a couple of pictures. Who knows? They could end up on the front page the next day. Aside from the instant reward of a clip (and journalism students, you’re going to need plenty of them – just ask your professors), you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing you made an impact on your community and brought your newspaper closer to the student body.

Contrary to popular belief, The Oracle is not a clique or a club; our doors are open, and so are our ears. Our offices are located in the basement of the Student Services building (SVC 0002, to be exact) and our phone numbers can be found in this issue. We’re here morning, noon and night. Call us. Visit us. Be us.