Cardieri meets with Woolard, talks just beginning

The future of USF baseball coach Eddie Cardieri’s career will continue to be discussed today and possibly over the next few days, the coach said Tuesday.

Cardieri said he and Athletic Director Doug Woolard met Tuesday for the first time since the season ended May 24 with the 6-4 loss to St. John’s in the Big East Tournament.

Cardieri, who is in the last year of his contract, also said it was just the beginning of the “preliminary meetings,” and he does not know what the outcome might be.

This season, the Bulls went 23-35 and 12-15 in their first season in the Big East. USF made the conference tournament on the last game of the regular season as the eighth seed but was eliminated after two straight losses.

While Cardieri has stated the season “could have been better” and “doesn’t know why USF” or “a team like Florida returning all their guys” had such bad seasons, he has also stated numerous times he would like to coach next season.

In his 21 years as head coach at USF – the longest tenure of any USF coach – Cardieri has amassed a 731-546 record. His two sons, Nick and Joel, are both members of the baseball team.