Basketball signs another Solomon, adding more guard depth to team

The men’s basketball team filled one of its final two scholarship spots Wednesday, which was the first day of the spring signing period.

Guard Solomon Bozeman, who is a senior at Magnolia High School in Magnolia, Ark., committed to USF for the fall of 2006.

“I’m extremely excited to add Solomon Bozeman to our program,” coach Robert McCullum said. “(He’s) a talented point guard who can score.”

McCullum expects Bozeman – who averaged 28.5 points per game and led his team to the state championship game his senior season – to earn sufficient playing time next season as a freshman.

“His skill level, his talent level (and) his understanding of the game will enable him to come in and compete for a position right from the start,” McCullum said.

Although redshirt freshman guard Chris Howard, who was out with a knee injury last season, is expected to be healthy by next season, McCullum feels Bozeman will challenge Howard for the starting position.

“(Bozeman) is certainly going to have that opportunity, and I think he’s certainly talented enough to do that,” McCullum said. “(But) because Chris Howard has been here for a year, he has an advantage when it comes to familiarity.”

McCullum and his staff were planning to recruit a junior college transfer to fill the open spot, but after Bozeman withdrew his commitment from Mississippi, McCullum couldn’t pass up the opportunity to bring in the freshman-to-be.

“He brings so many intangibles to the table.” McCullum said. “In addition to his talent level, he can really shoot the basketball, (and he’s) just a tough competitor. So for those reasons, we decided that if we could get him, he’s just too good of a high school player to pass on.”