Sexually Speaking

Dear Readers,

I often receive questions pertaining to the clitoris. I am asked what it is, where it is and what you should and should not do to it.

The clitoris is the structure located at the upper part of the labia minora that is homologous to the penis, sharing a similar structure and reaction to stimulation in that, like the penis, it also can become erect.

Considering the high volume of questions concerning the clitoris, below is a quiz comprised of many of the questions I have received. I encourage everyone to go through the questions, marking each one as either true or false, and then checking your answers upon completion. You may be surprised. Enjoy.

Be safe and have fun! – Alexis

The Clitoris Quiz

Determine whether each of the following is true or false. Answers are on page 11.

1. Girls develop a clitoris at puberty.

2. The head of the clitoris may vary in color from pink to brownish black.

3. The clitoris only has one nerve ending.

4. The clitoris extends up to five inches in the body.

5. The clitoris and penis are made from the same type of tissue.

6. The clitoris is another name for the G-spot.

7. The only known function of the clitoris is to give females sexual pleasure.

8. Most female orgasms come from clitoral stimulation.

Sources:

Greenberg, Jerrold S. Exploring The Dimensions Of Human Sexuality. 2nd ed. Ed. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlet Publishers, Inc., 2004.

http://www.teenwire.com/interactive/quizzes/do-20060112-clitoris.php

‘Sexually Speaking’ Answer Key:

1. False. The clitoris is present at birth, although it grows in size as a female ages.

2. True. Like the rest of a woman’s vulva, the clitoris can vary in color and size.

3. False. The clitoris has thousands of nerve endings – more than the penis!

4. True. The tip of the clitoris is located between the inner labia (lips) at the top of the vulva, but it also has a shaft of nerves that extend up to five inches inside the body.

5. True. Like the penis, the clitoris is composed of spongy erectile tissue that fills with blood, which becomes firm and erect during sexual arousal.

6. False. The G-spot is a small area of spongy tissue located about an inch or so inside the vaginal opening.

7. True. The clitoris serves no reproductive function.

8. True. Most women experience orgasm through clitoral stimulation rather than vaginal penetration.

Have a question for Alexis?

Please e-mail MontageSex@yahoo.com with your full name for verification purposes. If your question is selected for the series, your name will remain anonymous. All questions will be considered.