Former Bull satisfied with ring, role

ST. PETERSBURG – Looking back at everything, Ross Gload figures last October could have been worse.

The former USF player could have been watching the game at home with his wife or ended his season with the Charlotte Knights in September. But after being called back up again on Aug. 22 when Frank Thomas went on the disabled list, Gload had a month-long stint with the White Sox, which led to a spot on the playoff roster.

But even though Gload was left off the active roster for the World Series against the Houston Astros, he watched from the dugout, devouring the moment and soaking up the exposure.

“You don’t get a chance to do that very often,” Gload said. “I didn’t get to help out much, so it was more of I got to watch all of it. It was that. It was more of me experiencing what these guys worked hard for the whole year. It was more the ride than anything else.”

At the end of the ride, a World Series ring awaited Gload, though he appeared in only 28 games for the White Sox.

“I mean, I was glad those guys got to do what they deserved to do,” Gload said. “I helped out at certain points throughout the year, then the injuries I had to overcome. I don’t look back, and it’s a different team this year.”

While Gload doesn’t downplay five RBI and two doubles, which included a game-winning two-run double in the 13th inning on Sept. 30, he does relish his experience at the World Series, though it went by quickly.

“It went by quick, that’s for sure,” Gload said. “Usually baseball’s a slow game, but I don’t think I missed a pitch of it from the bench.

“Everyone is like, ‘We’ll get back and do it again. I just don’t know about that. There is no guarantee of that, so I tried to enjoy every moment I could, because I never know if I’ll ever get back.”

In Tuesday’s 10-7 loss to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Gload got an unexpected surprise, getting two at bats in two innings late in the game. Gload went 0-for-2, but nearly hit a home run as a opposite-field ball carried to the back of the warning track only to be caught by left fielder Carl Crawford.

But despite not seeing playing time in the World Series and limited action on baseball’s top team, Gload said he wouldn’t change a thing.

“I’m 30 years old and I’m still playing baseball,” Gload said. “I’m never going to complain about any of that stuff.”