Victor set to discuss Greek Week concert on WBUL

The controversial involvement of student body President Maxon Victor’s band in the Less Than Jake concert on March 22 will finally get some air. Victor agreed to discuss the matter in an interview with Student Government Attorney General Daniel Miller, which will air on WBUL.

The debate will take place at 5 p.m. today, and the two will talk about whether the student body president abused his position to have his band, Classified, perform as an opening act at the concert.

“I believe that something really inappropriate happened,” Miller said. “And the more people I can tell about this, the better off I’ll feel about the whole situation.”

Miller resigned from his SG position two days before the concert and submitted accusations to the SG senate claiming Victor had acted unethically in regards to the concert. Senator Randy Holm investigated the accusations and determined Victor had not overstepped his bounds as student body president.

But Miller said he was unhappy with the way Holm carried out the investigation.

“The basic thing here is that Maxon ended up pushing for a concert that he performed in,” Miller said.

Although Victor was not involved in the voting process for the concert, the senate eventually approved the use of approximately $24,500 in Activity and Service fees to co-sponsor the concert.

A&S fees come from a per-credit-hour fee paid by students.

“I know there was a whole discussion about how I lied to (Daniel Miller) about not doing this for personal gain,” Victor said. “I’m still trying to figure out what the heck I lied to him about.”

Victor said the point of the concert was to promote diversity and that the Greek Week Committee tried to book other hip-hop and R&B groups, but the late approval of funding made scheduling impossible and too expensive.

“I feel like this wasn’t like one of those deals where I was trying to be a star for the moment,” Victor said.

Even though Victor did not receive monetary compensation for the concert, Miller said Victor would not have had the same opportunity to promote his band had he not played in the concert.

“You saw the number of posters that were put up, you saw that they had drawn together a crowd of 2,500,” Miller said. “To get that kind of a concert put together on your own, you’d have to find a big label by having a producer or something like that. People can say up and down that he’s not going to get a financial kickback, but he’s the president, he pushed for the concert, and he’s performing in it with his band that he’s involved with.”