Concert money will go through

For the third week in a row, the issue of a $30,000 allocation for a concert being organized by the Greek Week Committee dominated the Student Government senate meeting. In the end, the senate ultimately allocated the money toward the event.

The senate decided to allocate the money on Jan. 31, but on Thursday it was frozen by the SG supreme court because of allegations that the vote was invalid due to procedural error.The saga of the votes on the allocation began at the Jan. 24 senate meeting.

The senate originally shot down the allocation when it was first voted on Jan. 24. The next week senate President Pro Tempore Jeremiah Pederson called for the senate to vote again on the money. His motion to re-vote passed by exactly the two-thirds necessary, including one yea absentee ballot. When the allocation was then voted on again, it passed with a final count of 24 yeas, 17 nays and 2 abstentions.

SG Attorney General Daniel Miller said absentee ballots were not allowed and, citing improper procedure, requested that the SG supreme court freeze the $30,000 allocation. The SG supreme court was determined to have no jurisdiction over monetary allocations, and the senate was given until Tuesday to make a final decision on the money.

The $30,000 will be used to book a nationally recognized act for a concert being organized by the Greek Week Committee. The concert would be held March 22, the Wednesday of Greek Week and take place in Greek Village in the northeastern corner of campus.

During open forum, several leaders of student organizations spoke passionately against the allocation of the funds, including leaders of Greek organizations.

It was for naught, though, as the senate decided to not revisit the concert issue and ultimately let the decision on Jan. 31 to allocate the money stand.

Motions were made to revisit the issue, but they were eventually determined to be invalid. There was confusion over who could motion to revisit the issue, but all of the senators who wanted to vote again on the money were determined ineligible to make a motion to revisit the issue.

Between discussions about the allocation, Pederson surprised the senate by resigning Tuesday night. He said he is leaving the senate because he was offered a job opportunity that he could not pass up. He has already started his job as an intern for a consulting firm in downtown Tampa.Pederson did make it clear that it was just coincidence that he happened to be resigning as the concert issue came to an end.

“It takes more than a vote like this to get a stubborn old mule like me out of senate,” Pederson said.

The senate chose Rules Committee chair senator James Culp to replace Pederson.Miller also announced that he had put in his resignation.

When asked why he resigned or whether he was asked to resign by anyone, Miller had no comment.