Volleyball losses keep on coming

There’s not a lot you can say about the USF volleyball’s team’s 2005 season, other than better luck next year. With only one game remaining, the Bulls will go down as the team with the worst record in school history.

USF (3-22, 1-13 Big East) didn’t help its situation this past weekend as it dropped a pair of matches on the road to Long Island University and Seton Hall.

The Bulls were swept in three straight games on Sunday by Long Island 30-22, 30-24, 30-26.

The Blackbirds (22-12, 8-0 Big East) have won in 16 of the past 18 games they have played, while the struggling Bulls have lost eight in a row.

USF fought hard early in the first game and tied up the score 10-10. The Bulls then proceeded to commit seven errors in a short period of time, and the Blackbirds took advantage, pulling away 24-18. The Bulls could never catch up and lost the game, 30-22.

The second game was a much more competitive contest. The Bulls almost tied up the game, but the Blackbirds got hot and went on a 15-7 run that put them in the driver’s seat. The Bulls surged back into the game, and LIU’s lead dwindled to three, 27-24. Three kills in a row closed out the game for the home team, 30-24.

Game 3 didn’t produce a positive result for the Bulls either, as for the 15th time this season, they did not win a game in a match, losing 30-24.

Coach Claire Lessinger believes that game experience was the key factor that decided the game.

“It was senior night for (Long Island), and they had five seniors on the floor,” Lessinger said. “The seniors used their sense of ability to overpower us tonight.”

The Blackbirds offensive was ignited by senior Lizelle Jackson, who led the team with 17 kills and 18 points, and senior Jade Gold, who had 15 kills and 16.5 points.

The Bulls were led by sophomore Kristina Fabris, who recorded 13 kills and nine digs in the match, and freshman Ashley McDowell, who had seven kills and nine points.USF lost its final Big East match of the season on Friday to Seton Hall University (13-16, 3-10 Big East), 30-23, 30-23, 23-30, 30-28. Michelle Stalbaum led the team with 18 kills and 18.5 points in the losing effort.