Men’s soccer

MEN’S SOCCER

No. 16 USF (12-5, 9-2 Big East) vs. Providence (6-3-8, 3-3-4 Big East)

When: 3:30 p.m., Saturday

Where: Morrone Stadium

The story: The Big East Tournament continues for the men’s soccer team in Storrs, Conn. The Bulls will face an upstart Providence team in the semifinal round Saturday.

After going 0-16 last season, Providence has lost only three games this year and snuck into the tournament by nabbing the sixth spot in the Blue Division. The Friars have made the most of its opportunity by beating Cincinnati and Seton Hall to make it to the final four of the tournament.

The Bulls continue to set the pace for the rest of the Big East with a league-leading conference record of 9-2. The Bulls’ offense has netted 14 goals in the last six games – of which USF has won five. Providence is one of four Big East teams the Bulls did not face this season.

USF leads the all-time series 1-0, with the last and only meeting coming on Sept. 14, 2003. Standing in the way of the Bulls is the cold weather, which the Bulls have struggled in this season, going 1-2 in sub-60 degree weather.

The winner of this game plays the winner of the Connecticut and St. John’s match on Sunday for the Big East title.

Keep an eye on: Rodrigo Hidalgo. The sophomore midfielder has registered four goals in the last three games and has been the major force behind the Bulls’ three-game winning streak. His performance earned him a spot on the Soccer America Team of the Week for the week ending Sunday. Hidalgo leads the team in assists (12) and is second in the nation in assists per game (0.75). The Bulls are 5-0 this season when Hidalgo scores a goal.

Watch party: A watch party has been organized for the game Saturday, located at Clubhouse Sports Cafe in the Terrace Walk Plaza, 5621 E. Fowler Ave.

Broadcast is being provided by College Sports Television.