Men’s soccer

MEN’S SOCCER

No. 4 St. John’s (7-1-4, 5-0-2 Big East) at USF (7-4, 6-1 Big East)

When: Saturday, 7:30 p.m.

Where: USF Soccer Field

The story: The USF men’s soccer team will try to keep sole possession of first place in the Red Division of the Big East Conference with a victory over St. John’s University.

The Bulls currently have a one-point lead over the Red Storm and a four-point lead over third-place Cincinnati.

USF took the No. 1 spot from the Red Storm with a decisive victory against the DePaul Blue Demons on Wednesday night, while Akron pulled out a tie against St. John’s.

In that game, forward Simon Schoendorf scored two goals, and Jordan Seabrook added another as the Bulls out shot yet another Big East opponent.

USF’s only conference loss was to Syracuse in a close match, 1-0, on Oct. 9.

Coach George Kiefer knows that his team will face a disciplined and well-coached St. John’s squad when they square off on Saturday night.

“(Coach Masur) has built St. John’s from when it was a very little program into one of the most storied programs – one of the best programs – in the country,” Kiefer said. “I’m looking forward to that game.”

The Red Storm is led by Matt Groenwald who has five goals and 14 points this season, and Andre Schmid who has recorded three goals and three assists on the year.

Keep an eye on: Jordan Seabrook. The freshman forward is putting up huge numbers. The offense will continue to count on Seabrook who has a team-high eight goals and 20 points so far in 2005.

-Jeffrey Jones