Men’s soccer undefeated in Big East through four games

The USF men’s soccer team (5-3, 4-0 Big East) remained undefeated in the Big East over the weekend, beating West Virginia (5-4, 1-1 Big East) 1-0 Friday, and Pittsburgh (5-5-1, 1-3 Big East) 1-0 Sunday.

Sammy Castellanos scored his third game-winning goal of the season Friday in the 45th minute with a shot past goalkeeper Nick Noble on Kris Raad’s fourth assist of the season.

The win was the Bulls’ first shutout victory this season and goalkeeper Dane Brenner’s ninth career shutout. Brenner recorded five saves.

In Sunday’s game, the Bulls outshot the Panthers 13-9 for Brenner’s second consecutive shutout, in which he tallied five more saves.

Freshman Jason Devenish scored his second goal of the season on a Simon Schoendorf cross for the win in the 50th minute.

The win is the first-ever over Pittsburgh, as the Bulls are the only undefeated team in the Big East standings, just one point behind Cincinnati (4-0-1) following its 2-1 win over Notre Dame.Women’s soccer

The USF women’s soccer team (5-2-1, 0-1-1 Big East) fought through a 0-0 double overtime time Friday against Providence (3-5-1, 0-2-1 Big East) at Glay Field.

The Bulls best scoring opportunity was during the second half in the 59th minute when midfielder Michelle Buskey stole the ball from Friars midfielder Christie Gent. Buskey shot at the left corner of the goal, but Providence goalkeeper Ashley Fedyshyn made the diving save.

USF, however, outshot Providence 17-12.

Connecticut (8-2-2, 3-0 Big East) was the Bulls’ first on-campus home Big East game, but USF fell to the No. 24-ranked Huskies 1-0 in overtime.

The Huskies controlled most of the game with 24 shots to only seven for the Bulls. With the Huskies attacking regularly, sophomore goalkeeper Casey Garrett was tested often. But Garrett responded and kept the Bulls in the game with eight saves, single-handedly forcing the game into overtime.

“Casey played a hell of a game,” Fleck said. “She definitely came out and made the big saves.”One save Garrett could not make was in the 9th minute of overtime, when UConn’s Brittany Taylor knocked in the winning goal on an empty net after Garrett deflected a shot from Huskies forward Brittany Tegler.

“We had a great opportunity to steal that game,” Fleck said. “I think we were in it. We gave it everything.”Volleyball

The USF volleyball team (1-9, 0-2 Big East) dropped its first ever Big East match to Marquette 3-0 (30-14, 32-30, 30-27), at the Al McGuire Center on Friday.

The Golden Eagles (7-6, 1-1 Big East) out-played the Bulls in digs (58-46) and blocks (8-4).

Sophomore Kristina Fabris recorded her sixth career double-double with 11 kills and 10 digs. Michelle Stalbaum had 11 kills and seven digs in the match, while recording her 22nd-career 10-plus kill outing.

In Game Two, there were 13 tie scores and seven lead changes, but with the score at 30-30, Marquette scored back-to-back for the win.

USF also struggled against Syracuse (10-4, 2-0 Big East). The Orange took advantage of the Bulls’ misplays, when they committed 12 more errors than the Orange (33-21). Syracuse won 3-0 (30-17, 30-19, 30-20).

Stalbaum recorded 15 kills and three aces, while Fabris also had 11 kills, one block solo and one block assist.

Game Two started out with Syracuse taking a 7-4 lead, but USF was able to tie it at 10-10. The Bulls lost 30-19 despite an 8-4 run to cut the lead in half.