The Glamour Girl’s Guide to unglamourous things: Tailgating

College football season is in full swing, and there is no better way to show school spirit than by tailgating. This used to be male domain, but not anymore. Over the past few years, girls have been seeping their way into tailgate parties, but we can still do better. While there are girls out there drinking and partying it up, you rarely ever see an all-girl tailgating group joining the many all-guy parties. I assume this is because we don’t have a firm grasp on how to tailgate yet, and thus, it is time to learn.

I’ve got to hand it to the guys; they have made tailgating an art form. Easy ups, mini-fridges, huge BBQs, TVs, stereos and, of course, school paraphernalia make their day of spirit as comfortable as possible. Although there are ways girls can make their version of tailgating better, there is a lot to learn from the ones who started it all.

There are definitely essentials when it comes to tailgating. First off, an easy-up tent is recommended for those hot summer games. It can be a pricey investment, but you’ll be thankful you made it when it’s 2 o’clock on a Saturday afternoon. A big beach umbrella may be a cheaper alternative, but it won’t give as much shade. Just as important is a grill. Sandwiches and snacks can be made before-hand, but the pros never leave their grill behind. A cooler filled with drinks is also essential. Get one on wheels so it’ll be easier to tote around. Finally, don’t forget the chairs and school decorations.

Now, just because we’re tailgating doesn’t mean we have to succumb to the beer-drinking belch fest that men have made it. Perhaps the best way we can make tailgating our own is in what we eat and drink. Hamburgers and hot dogs are great for the grill, but there are healthier, tastier things to grill. Fruit and vegetables taste great grilled if done correctly. Seafood is another alternative to the ordinary. Shish kabobs are the ultimate grill staple.

Forget about beer, girls deserve classy cocktails. Pre-making drinks before you get to the field will cut down on the hassle of bringing the different ingredients. For all of the under-agers, don’t worry; make virgin versions of these cocktails. Girls don’t need alcohol to have fun. Trust me, it’s a lot more fun to leave the alcohol at home than be fined.

Decorations are another way girls can let their creativity shine. Flags, signs and banners are all available at the Bookstore. Writing messages on your car window with shoe polish is another way to show the visiting team who’s boss. Wearing school colors is the most important way to show your spirit. Face tattoos, ribbons and apparel from head to toe are essential.

Finally, the most important rule in tailgating is arrive early. There is no use in going through all this trouble if you’re not going to make a day of it. The general rule is to get there at least five hours before the game starts. With all our improvements on tailgating, guys will be asking us for tips soon.