Watching the Bulls – it’s more than a game

In September, junior Adam Fuzi will pull his grass hula skirt, Viking hat and aviator sunglasses out from hiding. They’ve been dormant in his closet since USF football’s last home game of the season, a loss to Pittsburgh on December 4.

The metallic gold and green body paint Fuzi splatters across his face and abdomen still has some luster, as do the smiles of his fellow “Beef Studs” joining him in the end zone. That’s the student section, and according to Fuzi, the best seat in the house.

“The crowd is rowdy, and it’s always fun to get a little crazy in the end zone,” Fuzi said.Junior Regina Macolino enjoys the football pandemonium as well.

“I have attended all but one home football game the past two years. I absolutely love the games,” Macolino said.

For students like Fuzi and Macolino, sporting events have been an integral part of the USF experience.

Macolino recalls the 2003 Homecoming Game against Cincinnati in her freshman year, when the football team won in double overtime.

“Students rushed the field in victory,” she said. “My best friend and I joined in and got pictures on the 50-yard line. That’s something I will never forget.”

Some of senior Nick Brata’s finest college memories have also taken place at USF sporting events. He’s attended football, basketball, softball, and soccer games, and even traveled to last year’s Conference USA Men’s Basketball Tournament.

“I went up to Memphis with two of my friends,” Brata said. “We were 11th seed going in, out of 12. We beat No. 6 Houston the first day. Then we had to play No. 3 Cincinnati the second day.”

Earlier in the season, Cincinnati had beaten the Bulls 74-48.

“We shocked everyone in the tournament, especially the thousands of Cincinnati fans [by beating] the Bearcats.” Brata added. “We got to walk around Memphis the next day with pride.”

Brata also enjoys the game rituals at sporting events. One of his favorites is when the USF marching band, Herd of Thunder, plays Rage Against the Machine’s “Bulls on Parade.”

“We make the bull sign and wave it to the music, in a circular motion in the air,” Brata said.

Perks for attending USF sporting events include free admission to most events with a student ID, and according to Brata, the opportunity to be featured on ESPN.

“We usually get shown two or three times.”

Schedules for all 2005-2006 sporting events can be found at GoUSFBulls.com, USF’s official athletics website.