Women’s tennis snap skid

The No. 56 USF women’s tennis team defeated FIU 4-3 in Miami on Saturday, bringing its record to an even .500 (7-7).

Freshman Liz Cruz lost her second match of the year 6-2, 6-1 to Desanka Jovanovic, and three straight singles victories by Neyssa Etienne, Courtney Vernon and Gabriela Dutch put the Bulls over the Golden Panthers.

Double partners Cruz and Vernon defeated No. 56 doubles team of Egle Petrauskaite and Jovanovic 8-4.

Men’s tennis

The USF men’s tennis team lost to William and Mary 5-2 in Williamsburg on Saturday. USF’s Uli Kiendi defeated Jeff Kader, who is No. 60 in the country, in straight sets, 6-3, 6-0. But the Bulls lost four straight singles matches to drop their record to 8-13. Federico Barton lost to Colin O’ Brien 6-4, 6-1, and Andreas Maroldt dropped his match to Sean Kelleher 6-1, 6-4.

Barton and Kiendel combined on their doubles match to defeat Kelleher and Stephen Ward 9-8 in a tiebreak point.

Men and women’s track and field

The USF men’s and women’s track and field teams participated in the Gatorade Invitational hosted by the University of Miami on Saturday. The men’s team continues to have a solid season in both running and field events.

Sophomore Jarrod Hall came in with a third place finish in the 400-meter hurdles, recording a time of 51.97 seconds.

In the hammer throw, junior Brandon Carey took third with a distance of 166 feet 8 inches, but had a fifth-place finish in the discus at 165-5, which was long enough to qualify him for the NCAA Regional in May. Freshman Clinton Dunlop also finished third in the high jump with a height of 6-6 3/4.

Along with Dunlop, freshman Brian Zipler and junior Jonathan Miller took fifth and sixth places, respectively, in the high jump with heights of 6-4 3/4.

Miller also finished fourth in the pole vault at 16-6 3/4, while sophomore Steven Gaddis was fifth with a height of 16-3/4.

Other top finishers on the men’s side include sophomore Andrew Charles in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:54.49 and senior Patrick Martin in the 400 at 52.40.

On the women’s team, USF pole-vaulters placed three in the top four.

Sophomore Megan Malone won the event with a height of 11-11 3/4, while fellow sophomore Lindsey Chandler finished third with a jump of 10-11 3/4.

Freshman Courtney Lacroix finished second in the high jump at 5-7, senior Alexis McGaffagan was sixth with a height of 5-3 and freshman Katie Sandmeyer came in ninth at 5-1.

In the 400, senior Claire Ragot came in third at 1:01.46, while senior Symone Whittaker and junior Valquisha Morris finished seventh and eighth, respectively, with times of 1:03.62 and 1:04.38.

Senior Chandra Brewer placed fourth in the shot put with a distance of 51-11 1/4.