Volleyball team gets its first win

The University of South Florida women’s volleyball team won its first game of the season Saturday, defeating UT-Chattanooga 3-0. The win was Claire Lessinger’s first as head coach.

“We were disappointed not to have our home opener (because of Hurricane Frances), but it was canceled for the right reasons,” Lessinger said.

Junior setter Juliana Nogueira led all players with 33 assists.

“Our chemistry is great right now; they were all close games. Juliana did a great job spreading the ball around to keep the other team off balance.”

Three USF players had double-doubles. Junior Flavia Silveira led the Bulls, tallying 16 kills to go along with her 13 digs. Freshman Kristina Fabris and Michelle Stalbaum also turned in outstanding performances. Fabris notched 11 kills and added a team-leading 15 digs. Stalbaum had 10 kills and 12 digs.

“Everyone was motivated. We kept our minds on volleyball and I was really impressed with the win,” Lessinger said.

Next up for the Bulls is the Western Kentucky tournament in Bowling Green. The Bulls will face Southeast Missouri State Saturday at 6 p.m.

Soccer team at UCF

The USF women’s soccer team (1-0-1) plays its third game of the season tonight at UCF at 7.

The Bulls lost their season opener last season to the Knights 2-1. Both of USF’s games this season have been double-overtime affairs.

Men’s soccer at DePaul

USF opens its conference schedule this afternoon at DePaul at Wish Field in Chicago at 3.

“DePaul is a very good team at home. They play a tough game, so we’re looking for a tough game coming up, but we’re going be ready, even after a long trip,” USF’s men’s soccer coach George Kiefer said.

The Bulls opened the season last Wednesday with a 3-2 victory over Jacksonville.