New and Noteworthy for the week ahead

The Art of Rock & Roll
(Today/ Hard Rock Cafe/ Free to public)

Residents of a city, such as students at a university, get out of it what they put into it. Tampa has been criticized for its lack of culture; however, young professional groups and a growing artistic population are slowly changing this reputation with little series at various venues around Tampa. Tonight, it’s happening at the Hard Rock Cafe in Tampa. These include art and free stuff, as well as snacks, music and drinks. It’s a bona fide alternative to the usual bar/club experience.

Annie Lennox and Sting
(September 9/ Ford Amphitheater/$32-$87)

Since Live Aid in the ’80s, Sting has been known as the sexy older gentleman who could have sex with his wife for eight hours at a time using tantric methods. He has since modified his drunken claim and gotten on with life, occasionally pushing the world music/contemporary jazz thing a bit far. Annie Lennox, who could realistically double as Sting on an ultra low-carb diet, is on a similar world-awareness kick with her music since the ’80s, although she’s prone to longer reprieves in her career. Who knows, perhaps the look-alikes could find a prosperous career in synchronized diving if their revived tour paths don’t work out.

Ozzfest
(Tonight at 9 pm/Ford Amphitheater/$49.75 – $75.75)

On paper, this year’s Ozzfest looks like the one to attend. Finally, Ozzy has reunited with former band Black Sabbath, along with other hard-core staples: Judas Priest and Slayer. Like every Ozzfest, this one includes obligatory nu-metal businessmen, like the fellas from Slipknot. It’s been said about Zakk Wylde’s Black Label Society, through the heavy metal grapevine, that metalheads finally have something to cheer about in a contemporary band. Beyond new bands, festival hails primarily as a reunion tour of bands that are still needed, considering what’s come after their prime.