Fisher arrested, charged on three counts

Brian Fisher spent most of his time running from opposing defenders on the football field.

Wednesday, his run from the law came to an end on Falkenburg Road.

Fisher was arrested by police and booked into the Falkenburg Road jail at 10:30 a.m. It is unclear whether he turned himself in.

Fisher could not be reached for comment.

Earlier this month, authorities had issued warrants for his arrest in two counties, Hillsborough and Escambia, stemming from Fisher’s unpaid child support to two women.

Today, Fisher was officially charged with a suspended license, unlawful use of a temporary tag and contempt of court.

Fisher was released at 4:02 p.m. on $6,000 bail.

Last season’s team MVP, Fisher has been on a downward spiral since the end of his most successful football season, which saw the sophomore start at quarterback. His was pencilled in at running back for 2004 after rushing for 95 yards in the spring game.

As coach Jim Leavitt was worrying about where to play him next season, Fisher was letting grades and class attendance slip and repeatedly running into trouble with the law.

He failed to appear at his May 10 arraignment for driving with a suspended license, which was temporarily revoked as a result of over $17,000 of in unpaid child support.

Coach Leavitt has been reluctant to talk about Fisher’s future with the team, saying his part-time quarterback has “got some things he’s got to figure out with child support.”

Leavitt also said that academics, as well as his outstanding child support moneys, would be another factor that Fisher’s reinstatement would hinge on.

It is still possible that Fisher may be redshirted, Leavitt said, if he can’t meet the requirements of his coach, USF and the law.