USF student life VP resigns

USF’s vice president of student affairs resigned his position Monday and announced that he would remain as a teacher in the College of Education after taking professional development leave for a year.

Harold Nixon served as vice president of student affairs for the past 10 years at USF, but has been an administrator in higher education for more than 30. His resignation becomes effective Aug. 25.

“I’m stepping down to teach because there comes a time to do something different,” Nixon said in an interview Wednesday. “This gives me a chance to still contribute to the students.”

Nixon has been credited with developing the largest residence hall construction plan in the history of Florida’s public universities, as well as improving student life at USF.

After taking a year off to prepare to teach again, Nixon said he would teach in a master’s program in the College of Education.

“I have taught before and teaching is a great profession,” he said. “I think this is a good way to round out my career after 30 years. I can still contribute to the education of students, which is my real passion.”

While working in student affairs, Nixon also worked on enrollment planning and management, student life and wellness, the Phyllis P. Marshall Center, residence halls and student activities and recreation.

“Harold has been a valuable member of my leadership team,” said USF President Judy Genshaft in a statement. “Through his efforts, USF has come a long way toward making the campus more vibrant and attractive to the highest quality of students and making diversity an integral part of our campus life.”

Nixon came to USF in 1994 from Wright State University, where he was vice president of student affairs. He earned a Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Michelle Carlyon, director of media relations, said Genshaft appointed Kofi Glover as interim vice president of student affairs. Carlyon added that Genshaft wanted to consult with the faculty, staff and the community before conducting a nationwide search for the position. No timetable has been set for the search.

Glover, interim assistant vice president of academic affairs, has been at the university since 1972, when he was hired as an assistant professor.

Nixon said he plans on meeting with Glover to go over the position, but couldn’t offer him any advice.

“I firmly believe I leave behind the best and the strongest student affairs anywhere,” he said. “And anyone coming into that office, I am confident that they will get nothing but the best people to work with.”