Bulls advance in tournament

In dominating fashion, the USF women’s tennis team swept Memphis 4-0 to advance to the second round of the Conference USA Championship.

“I proved my point,” USF coach Gigi Fernandez said. “We should not be seeded No. 8 because Memphis was seeded No. 9, and we absolutely killed them. It wasn’t even a contest.”

The Tigers were dismantled quickly, losing No. 1 and No. 2 doubles 8-4, and chose not to finish at No. 3, handing another point to the USF.

Singles competition went just as well for the Bulls. USF won three straight matches at the No. 1, No. 4 and No. 6 positions, needing only two sets in each match to get the job done. Luisa Obando may have had the most lopsided match, defeating Christina Wieser 6-1, 6-1.

USF will now move on to the second round to take on the No. 2 seed, TCU, at 3 today. TCU earned a first-round bye. The Horned Frogs are No. 25 in the nation and narrowly lost to No. 15 Tulane 4-3 in the regular season.

“We have a pretty good shot against TCU,” Fernandez said. “We have to go out and lay on the pressure. We are underrated, and hopefully, we’ll come through.”

If USF drops the match against TCU, it would enter a consolation round to play for fifth place. Although the Bulls want more than fifth, Coach Fernandez said her team would be happy if it could walk away with No. 5 in the conference.

“If feel like if we can come out of this tournament with a Top-5, (we will) in some ways prove that our team is not as bad as our record,” Fernandez said. “I have known that all along; it’s just we had a really tough schedule.”