In tune with her ambition

After graduating with a bachelor’s degree in music, Rebecca Simonz didn’t think working with the orchestra of the U.S. capital was a bad gig.

Simonz received a four-month internship after graduation in December to work with the National Symphony Orchestra at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington.

“I always knew I wanted to apply for this … but I thought I was taking a big risk in applying,” Simonz, a USF alumna, said.

Jen Goldstein, a media relations advisor at the Kennedy Center said that about 24 interns were selected for the spring semester out of several hundred who applied.

As an intern, Simonz is involved in the management aspect of the orchestra by arranging concert schedules, making stage plans and helping produce concerts.

The orchestra has about 100 musicians and runs on a 52-week schedule with about 175 concerts a year, according to the Kennedy Center’s Web site. And when the orchestra travels for performances, Simonz said she works with tour management to organize travel rosters for the symphony.

“I minored in business, so I had a good foundation of a non-music background,” Simonz said.

Simonz, who majored in clarinet performance and was the drum major of USF’s marching band, said she has applied for orchestra management positions and hopes to pursue those once her internship ends in May. Simonz said the internship has helped her realize that she wants to direct her career more toward the management aspect in music. However, Simonz said she hasn’t ruled out becoming a music instructor.

“It’s been a phenomenal experience … D.C. is one of the best cities to live in because there’s so many arts organizations and museums, I would recommend this program to anyone who is interested in the arts,” Simonz said.

Two more apply for vacant AD job

University of Tampa student Owen Colligan is one of two new applicants in the hunt for a new USF athletic director. Colligan could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Wednesday’s second applicant came from Timothy Bradley, Administrator Assistant at Brown Middle School in Austell, GA.

The two rumored favorites for the position, Orange Bowl CEO Keith Tribble and Connecticut associate athletic director Tom McElroy, still have not applied. The total number of applicants now sits at 21.