Injury-riddled for final match

With several players still nursing injuries, the USF men’s tennis team travels to face No. 5 Mississippi in the Bulls’ final regular-season match today.

USF coach Don Barr was contemplating what to do against Mississippi, which is the third Top-10 team the Bulls have faced this season.

With the Conference USA tournament set to begin Friday, Barr is going to rest Paco Antelo, Karim Benmansour and possibly Renato Silveira. With several of his top players set to miss the match, Barr called Mississippi’s head coach Billy Chadwick to see if the coach still wanted the Bulls to make the trip with a depleted squad.

“I kind of left it up to (Mississippi) on what it wanted to do and (Chadwick) said ‘Yeah, we would like to still play,'” Barr said.

One person who will play is junior Uli Kiendl. Kiendl has a chance to improve his national ranking, and that could help him reach the NCAA Tournament as an individual if the Bulls are unable to qualify as a team.

Also, the experience of playing a team like the Rebels is something Barr wanted his younger players to get.

Men’s golf slips in rain-shortened tournament

The USF men’s golf team slipped to seventh place in the rain-shortened ASU Indian Classic in Jonesboro, Ark., after holding a share of the lead after the first 18 holes Monday.

The Bulls were in a five-way tie for first, but shot a combined 303 in the final round of the 36-hole tournament. USF finished with a 36-hole total of 590, 10 shots behind the winner, Iowa State.

USF’s Ryan Shears also held a share of the lead after firing a four-under-par 68 on Monday. However, Shears shot a 79 yesterday and fell into a tie for 17th place.

Staff report