Book fair funds will help Poynter Library

Book-lovers in the Bay area can support the Poynter Library by attending its 9th Annual Book Fair. The event, which takes place Saturday, is sponsored by Society for the Advancement of Poynter Library.

According to Jim Schnur, an assistant librarian at the Poynter Library, the SAPL Book Fair is a “friend organization” that assists the library and provides it with new programs to help students better understand the library.

Marion Ballard, a member of the SAPL Organization, is the project’s organizer.

Through its past success, the book fair has raised enough money to assist the Library with collections and reference books, Schnur said.

Many people who have attended the book fair in the past are members from the community, said Barbara Reynolds, administrative assistant to the dean of Poynter Library.

According to Reynolds, last year’s total was close to $1,000.

Last year, the SAPL Board bought a laptop for the library, which is available for students to checkout.

While last year’s event attracted a fair amount of people, Schnur said the organizers of the event are expecting a good crowd.

The books available at the fair will be used and low priced, Reynolds said.

According to the St. Petersburg Library Web site, the books on sale will include travel and leisure, contemporary fiction, biographies, children’s literature, best sellers, cooking and textbooks, among others.

The books come from donations and are labeled at the book fair, Reynolds said. The book fair usually does well, although there are usually books left after the event. This year’s book fair will take place at the USF St. Petersburg campus in Room 130 at Davis Hall from 9 a.m. to noon. There will be a special sale today for faculty, staff and students from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. For more information call (727) 553-4405.