Madrid bombings spark USF discussion

With terrorism alert levels in America raised after bombings in Madrid, USF will host a panel discussion addressing the threat of terrorism on American soil.

Ten bombs exploded at train stations in the Spanish capital on March 11, killing 202 people and injuring more than 1,200 others in the deadliest terrorist attack in Spanish history. Al-Qaida, the terrorist network behind the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York, has claimed responsibility for the bombings. The Madrid bombings came 911 days after planes flew into both World Trade Center buildings and the Pentagon, which killed nearly 3,000 people.

The panel will include three USF faculty members and will be moderated by Ian Phillips, vice president of research at USF. Jacqueline Cattani, director of USF’s center for biological defense, Daniel Lim, professor of microbiology at USF, and USF psychologist Rick Weinberg will sit on the panel, which meets Thursday night. Also at the discussion will be Michael Courey, a radioactive safety office at the Tampa Veteran Affairs Medical Center, and James Woodson, a professor of behavioral neuroscience at the University of Tampa.

The discussion, titled “How does the Threat of Terrorism Affect You?” will be held at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Embassy Suites Hotel on the USF campus and will also include a 30-minute open forum for questions for the panelists from the audience.