Brewer, Octavien stand out at invitational

The USF women’s indoor track team continued its consistent success last weekend, placing first in four events at the Tiger Invitational at Clemson.

“I’d say we are one of the top 50 programs in the country,” USF coach Greg Thiel said.

The meet was a good measuring stick for the Bulls, who competed against 23 other schools from around the country. The field of competitors in Clemson was almost twice as large as the upcoming Conference USA championships where USF will compete against 12 other schools.

The Bulls travel to Houston Feb. 27 for the C-USA Tournament, the last event of the indoor season. Thiel said the tournament will essentially be a three way meet between Houston, USF and TCU, who finished one, two and three, respectively, in last season’s meet.

“We hope we win,” Thiel said. “We are in a position where we should win this meet.”

Helping USF in its attempt to take No. 1 will be the duo of Chandra Brewer and Dayana Octavien, both of whom performed well in Clemson. Brewer broke another school record in the shot put on her way to winning the event with a throw of 52-6 1/2. Octavien placed right behind Brewer in the shot put with a throw of 46-10 1/4 while claiming No. 2 in the weight throw with a provisional-qualifying throw of 64-1 3/4.

“Those two are just some of the best in the country at what they do,” Thiel said.

Other first-place finishers included Karoline Hagen, who finished the 400-meter event in 56.41 seconds, Christa Benton, who ran the 3,000-meter event in 9:59.86 and the USF 400-meter relay team, which finished with a time of 3:47.86. The relay team was: Hagen, Alexis McGaffagan, Bente General and Claire Ragot. Thiel is confident that his runners, as well as his throwers, are ready for the tournament.

“They are ready to go and see what happens,” Thiel said. “They are running well (and) competing well.”

As for preparation for the upcoming tournament, Thiel said he is not planning anything drastic for his team, who has not had an off week since the beginning of the indoor season.

“We are not going to get any stronger or faster over the next two weeks,” Thiel said. “We are just going to try to focus and get sharper.”