Brewer claims third straight title

Junior Chandra Brewer won her third consecutive shot put event, and the USF women’s indoor track and field team had another solid showing during the weekend at the Carolina Classic in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Brewer threw 50-feet-9 1/2 to claim first, while senior teammate Dayana Octavien finished third in the event and also placed third in the 20lb weight throw.

Junior Bente General won the 800 meters at 2 minutes, 11.83 seconds, while senior Alexis McGaffagan finished a close second at 2:13.37.

The Bulls had three runners place in the top 10 in the 200-meter dash, led by junior Shelltrice Turner’s third-place finish (25.35). Sophomore Valquisha Morris finished fourth (25.36) and sophomore Devon Rich placed seventh (25.54).

Junior Christa Benton rounded out the Bulls’ top finishers, claiming second in the 5,000 meters at 17:06.71.

“There wasn’t anything extremely earth shattering, our girls just performed extremely well across the board,” USF coach Greg Thiel said. “We had a very good solid team effort. I think that performances like we had today will put is in a position later in the season to win a Conference USA championship.”

The Bulls have one more meet this weekend at the Tiger Invitational in Clemson, S.C., before the Conference USA championships in Houston.

Ellis named C-USA Pitcher of Week

USF senior pitcher Leigh Ann Ellis was named Conference USA Pitcher of the Week after leading the Bulls to a perfect 5-0 record at the GRU-Classic in Gainesville during the weekend.

Ellis earned two victories, pushing her record to 5-0 on the year and also picked up two saves in relief. Ellis scattered eight hits in 17.2 innings with 11 strikeouts.

Ellis, who has a 0.68 ERA this season, pitched a complete-game two-hit shutout against Missouri of the Big 12.

Former wideouts Smith, Rubin allocated for NFL Europe

Former USF wide receivers Hugh Smith and DeAndrew Rubin have been allocated to NFL Europe for the upcoming season by their respective teams.

Rubin, the Bulls’ former standout return man who was drafted last year by the Green Bay Packers, was sent to the NFL developmental league by the Indianapolis Colts.

Smith, who is the school-record holder in receptions and yards and signed a free-agent contract with the Baltimore Ravens after the draft, was allocated after agreeing to a contract with the Cleveland Browns.