Brewer shares athlete of week honor

USF junior Chandra Brewer was named Conference USA co-Track and Field Athlete of the Week on Tuesday for her performance this past weekend at the Florida Intercollegiate in Gainesville.

Brewer shared the honor with Alicia Cave of Houston.

Brewer finished third in the shot put with a school-record throw of 52-feet-4 1/2 inches. The mark also qualified her provisionally for the NCAA Championships at the University of Arkansas in March.

In addition, Brewer also finished ninth in the 20-pound weight throw with a toss of 53-feet-2 1/2 inches.

Bulls picked to finish fourth

The USF baseball team was picked to finish fourth in Conference USA in the upcoming 2004 season, according to a poll of the league’s 12 head coaches that was announced Tuesday by the conference office.

Tulane was picked to finish first, garnering seven first-place votes, followed by Southern Miss and Houston.

“If you look at the top teams listed in this year’s preseason poll, you see a lot of talent returning,” USF coach Eddie Cardieri said. “To be predicted to finish fourth is an honor. However, it is honestly anybody’s guess on who will be on top at the end of the season.”

USF’s Myron Leslie, Devin Ivany and Jeff Baisley were all named to the preseason all-conference team.

Leslie, a senior, is a three-time all-conference selection. Baisley, a junior, was a second-team all-C-USA selection last season, while Ivany, a junior, was a first-team all-conference selection last season.