Brewer brings back school record

Chandra Brewer went up to the Florida Intercollegiate in Gainesville on Saturday with a sore ankle, but the junior came back with a school record in the shot put.

Brewer finished third with a throw of 52 feet 4 1/2 inches, which also qualifies her provisionally in the event for the NCAA Championships.

“We were obviously very happy with Chandra’s performance,” coach Greg Thiel said. “We had a lot of solid performances.”

Also highlighting the meet for the Bulls were the middle distance runners. Bente General took second in the 1-mile run with a time of 5 minutes, 0.08 seconds in the final. Christa Benton took fifth (5:12.96) and Kristen Poulos finished 20th (5:36.30) in that event.

In the pole vault USF placed three athletes in the top six. Betsy Matson, Megan Malone and Kristina West all tied for sixth with a height of 11-1/4.

Alexis McGaffagan finished tied for third in the high jump with a leap of 5-7 1/4.

“What we look for more than anything this time of season is consistency,” Thiel said. “We preach to our kids about having consistent performances early in the year and then hopefully, breaking out during the latter part of the season when it comes closer to conference championship time.”

The Bulls travel to Ann Arbor, Mich. for the Michigan Invitational on Jan. 24.