Don’t drop the S.O.A.P. show

Domestic violence is not something traditionally thought of as a problem for college students, but when evidence shows the number of those affected between the ages of 16 and 24 growing rapidly, something has to be done. That’s why 11 bands will unite at the USF Sun Dome Saturday for the “Speak Out Against” Performance.

The show’s lineup includes Authority Zero, Big Sky, Art Alexakis of Everclear, The Hiss and Yellowcard. The S.O.A.P. Show is a charitable event, sponsored by The Spring of Tampa Bay, to raise awareness about domestic violence.

Since 1977, The Spring has been a United Way agency that provides services to more than 20,000 victims of domestic violence, the single leading cause of injury against women in the United States. It houses a 102-bed shelter, a public school and a day care center.

“[The Spring] had no way of relating to the younger audience,” said Eric Torres, freelance producer in charge of the “Speak Out Against” Performance. “They had nothing in their criteria, no way of being able to relate [to them].”

Seeking a way to reach a younger generation, The Spring looked toward music for direction. The Spring’s remedy is a rock show — 11 hours, 11 bands and only $15 for USF students. From 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. the Sun Dome will provide a festive atmosphere aiming to entertain as well as inform.

Alternative rock bands fill the daylong play list, ranging from the rocking surf sounds of Authority Zero to the pop-punk rhythms of Yellowcard.

After a four-date tour with Oasis in Germany earlier this year, Georgia-based rock band The Hiss will also perform at the show. A band comfortably growing into its southern style, The Hiss is now working on new material and plans to release an EP or full-length album early next year. Singer Adrian Barrera considers the band’s performance to be a “simple, energetic rock ‘n’ roll show.”

“I think people need to put more effort into resources that are available,” the Tampa-native and former USF student said concerning the problem of domestic violence. “It’s hard for people to say ‘I need some help.'”

In addition to the lively atmosphere provided at the S.O.A.P. Show, concertgoers will find informative booths about The Spring. Counselors will also be at the show to talk to attendees about domestic violence and what people can do if they need help.

The perfect last-minute addition to the lineup is Alexakis of the band Everclear. In 1997, Alexakis told of his own domestic troubles in the hit song “Father of Mine.” Three years later, Alexakis lobbied Congress in favor of legislation for federally enforced child support laws. Also, in 2000 Songs From an American Movie, Vol. 1: Learning How to Smile was released, revealing Alexakis’ emotional scars of divorce and also yielding the somewhat uplifting single “Wonderful.”

“It really means a lot to me to be involved with this show,” Alexakis said. “Domestic abuse, in one form or another, can be found in just about any family. The effects of it can be life(time) scars. This is an issue that has not been talked about, and like other family related issues, people are reluctant to talk about it.”

All ticket sale proceeds go directly to The Spring. Proceeds will benefit the organization and areas with the greatest need that support programs for children and abused women.