Bulls place third in Adams Cup

The USF golf team rallied Tuesday to move up four spots and finish third at the Adams Cup at Newport. Oscar Fraustro shot 71 in the final round to finish fourth individually with a three-round total of 219. Teammate Brad Quiri fell one spot to fifth after a round of 75 gave him a 220 for the tournament. Chris Black bounced back from his first two rounds of 76 and 77, shooting a 71.

“The guys came out and played pretty well (Tuesday),” coach Jim Fee said. “The conditions were tougher on the first day, and we were able to come out and pull up to third place (Tuesday). It’s never easy on the first day when the guys have to play two rounds. To be able to come out on the second day, facing only one round, we can stay focused.”

USF posted an 891 for the tournament, 31 strokes behind winner Minnesota, 7 strokes behind second-place Michigan State and 3 strokes ahead of fourth-place Maryland. Minnesota’s Justin Smith was the top individual, posting a three-round total of 211.

The Bulls will not see action again for three weeks. They will compete in the Gary Koch Cleveland Golf Intercollegiate in Tampa hosted by Kentucky. After the Intercollegiate, the golf team will have only one more event left in the fall season.

“We’re looking forward to a little break,” Fee said of the time between matches. “It will give our players time to focus on their academics — not that they have a problem there — and in improving their game. It’s not like we will be doing nothing for three weeks, though. We will still be practicing and working out almost every day.”