Rubin released by Packers

The 2003 USF draft class is having a tough time in the NFL. Wide receiver DeAndrew Rubin was the latest Bull to be cut, as he was among 14 Green Bay Packers who were released on Tuesday. Hugh Smith and Maurice Tucker were let go on Monday and Tavares Jurineack on Sunday as teams got down to the 65-man roster limit by Tuesday.

A seventh-round pick by Green Bay in this April’s draft, Rubin was looking to make the team as a punt returner. He was a compensatory pick, the 253rd player overall selected. During the preseason, Rubin recorded one catch for 13 yards and had two punt returns. He fair caught one and returned the other four yards.

In his time at USF, Rubin set numerous records in both categories. His 11-catch, 144-yard effort against Pittsburgh in 2001 set the game mark for catches and his yards total is No. 2 in USF history. Rubin had six games with two touchdown catches, including a 95-yarder vs. Northern Illinois in the 2002 season opener. Rubin’s 14 touchdowns is the career record.

As a return man, Rubin took four punts and one kickoff back for scores. His 3,898 all-purpose yards make him the Bulls’ leader.

Rubin’s former college and high school teammate, Marquel Blackwell, encountered more competition on Tuesday. A day after the New York Jets signed quarterback Todd Husak, the team inked Jamie Martin to a one-year contract for $655,000, ESPN.com reported.

Martin, 33, played in five games for the Rams in 2002, making a pair of starts. He completed 63 percent (124-of-195) of his passes for 1,216 yards with seven touchdowns and 10 interceptions for St. Louis.

Husak is back with the Jets for the third time after spending 2001 on the practice squad and 2002 as the No. 3 quarterback.

The team cut Husak May 6, but resigned him Monday after it was learned starter Chad Pennington could miss the entire season after breaking his wrist in an exhibition game Saturday against the Giants.

The team also lost sixth-round pick Brooks Bollinger to a sprained knee. Bollinger is doubtful for Thursday’s preseason finale against Philadelphia.

Blackwell sat out the Jets’ first two preseason games, including the American Bowl in Tokyo vs. Tampa Bay, but has appeared in New York’s last two games. He’s completed 4-of-6 passes for 43 yards.

At USF, Blackwell threw for more than 9,000 yards and 57 touchdowns in his career.