NCAA selects USF

USF and the city of Tampa gave the nation a glimpse of how it could handle a large event when it hosted the first and second rounds of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament in March.

In 2008, they will again be given a chance to stage a major event when the women’s Final Four comes to Tampa for the first time.

The event will be played at the St. Pete Times Forum, and the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association convention and the fan-event “Hoop City” will be held in the Tampa Convention Center.

Tampa learned it was on the short list of cities in December 2002 and was announced a finalist in May 2003. The Final Four is expected to bring significant revenue for the city of Tampa, with an expected 20,000 hotel room nights to be booked. According to figures provided by the NCAA, the 2001 women’s Final Four created a $21 million economic impact for the St. Louis area.

Three Bulls receive preseason honor

As USF heads into its first season in Conference USA, three Bulls are already making a mark.

Santiago Gramatica, J.R. Reed and Derrick Sarosi were all picked by Athlon Magazine as members of the all C-USA preseason team.

Reed and Sarosi were selected as first team members, with Gramatica making the second team selection.

Reed, a senior free safety, was also selected as a first team member in Lindy’s preseason magazine. The Bulls leading defensive returnee, has 11 career interceptions and a school record of six, set in 2002.

Also making Lindy’s preseason list was junior offensive tackle Sarosi.

The Sporting News selected Gramatica, a 2002 semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award, as the No. 11 place kicker in the nation.

Bryan Fazio