jackass gives viewers great movie, great extras on DVD

Watching jackass: the movie on DVD needs to be done on an empty stomach.

That’s the truth, folks, watching jackass will turn your insides upside down. Ranging in scenes from ‘paper cuts,’ where the cast willingly allows Ryan Dunn to tear the webbings of their hands and feet with a piece of paper, to one of the guys eating a snow cone soaked in his own urine, the gag factor is omnipresent.

If those scenes are raunchy, the uncensored and deleted scenes in the special features section are an even grosser follow-up.

jackass: the movie was Johnny Knoxville and Co.’s last hurrah in doing the wild and crazy. MTV canceled the show after three seasons due to mounting controversy about the its use of rude and crude stunts.

Since then, the gang has been free from censors to do whatever is wants. Grossing more than $65 million on a $5-million budget (most of it insurance), jackass became one of the year’s top hits.

This was not a typical movie. Simply put, there is no plot — just scene after scene of some of the most repulsive, funny and crazy acts to ever hit the big screen. How often do you see someone snort wasabi through his nose or stick a little toy car in his … OK, enough said.

Just like the movie, the DVD does not disappoint.

With over four hours of additional material, there’s something for everyone.

It includes close to an hour of outtakes and deleted scenes. There actually was a huge extravagant ending planned for the movie, but it didn’t work out.

Also, the making of jackass: the movie is a worthwhile watch. A lot of planning and coordination went into the stunts and locations.

One thing portrayed is how the filmmakers get people to sign the release forms. With some, it took sweet talking, with others, a few beers.

Included on the DVD are two commentaries. The first is with Knoxville, director Jeff Tremaine and cinematographer Dimitry Elyashkevich.

They discuss the technical parts of the movie. The other commentary is with the rest of the cast.

The latter is hilarious, with each member sharing stories of how they broke their bones during filming, Steve-O thinking he was “making out with some chick, but it really was a dude,” and other “war” stories.

Also, for any music fans, the DVD includes two music videos featuring Andrew W.K. and Roger Alan Wade. This is yet another excuse to show more footage.

Relatively short at 84 minutes, it feels longer.

There are times during the movie when the viewer may laugh so hard, his or her whole body may hurt.

And with the outtakes, that body may hurt again and again.

Sadly, the crew said with the release of the movie, there will be no sequel. So to let loose the masochistic side, a fan should pick up a copy of the DVD.

But watch it on an empty stomach and you will soon be mimicking one of the many vomit scenes throughout the film.

Contact Thomas Carrigan at oraclethomas@yahoo.com