Texas law invades privacy

The Supreme Court debated an antiquated Texas law Wednesday, trying to decide if two men caught having anal sex in their bedroom should be held on criminal charges.

The law, which has been on the books since the 1960s, is outdated, and Texas should follow other forward-thinking states and ban it from its law books, regardless of what the Supreme Court decides.

The law addresses only the legality of sodomy between two people of the same sex. Therefore, the law is not only an example of an invasion of privacy but discriminatory as well.

Only three other states, including Florida, still have laws like this, and that should send a clear message to the Lone Star state. Obviously a majority of Americans believe that these laws are unconstitutional and do not deserve to be on the books.

Gay rights have come far in the past two decades. Some states have legalized gay adoptions and same-sex marriages. It seems ridiculous to still have a law that prevents people of the same sex from having intercourse with each other, regardless of how it is done.

The Supreme Court should not even have to waste its time on a case like this. It should have been immediately dismissed, and perhaps if energies were not focused overseas, more outrage would be evident now over the ridiculousness of this case.

The law, and the way in which it was brought before the Supreme Court, flies in the face of what America really stands for.

Freedom is a necessity, and it is not up to the United States or any individual state to dictate what Americans do in the privacy of their homes.