Results of war will soon be felt

It seems we are officially going to war.

Prime Minister Tony Blair of Britain, Prime Minister José María Aznar of Spain, President George W. Bush and Prime Minister José Manuel Durão Barroso of Portugal have decided that the United Nations is not active enough. If Iraq does not comply today they are going to start a war with Iraq to make sure it will be disarmed and the resolution the United Nations has passed will be “honored.” As a result of these actions, Iraq will be restructured from the ground up, and only its name on the map will remain the same.

The decisions of these men that have met on the remote islands of the Azores, somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, might very well reshape the world as we know it.

Saddam Hussein declared yesterday that war “will be open wherever there is sky, land and water in the entire world.”

So, is this the beginning of World War III?

The mere proposal of these actions has already polarized the world more than it was at the end of the Cold War. In a worst-case scenario, some Middle Eastern nations might decide the United States and its allies are not doing something in their interest and actively fight against them. Nations such as Pakistan might join them. Other nations might also take their opportunity to further some of their interests. North Korea might think that the rest of the world is too busy to care and attack South Korea.

It could create a situation similar to the one in World War II, in which the Axis Powers of Germany, Italy and Japan fought against the rest of the world.

In this case, the United States along with the United Kingdom, Spain and Portugal will be fighting against the rest of the world. For a just cause, according to them, but that will not better their chances one bit.

How can four men decide actions that actively go against the United Nations, the institution that is supposed to represent the nations of the world? Not even the people in their countries give them full support. How can they expect to come out of this without the situation blowing up in their faces and turning everybody against them?