Break yields 2-1 record for women’s tennis team

While USF students were out on spring break, the women’s tennis team was working hard at the USF Tennis Complex, racking up two victories and one loss.

USF started its break by defeating Boston University Sunday 4-3.

USF opened the day by winning the first two doubles matches, 8-1 and 8-5.

These victories clinched the doubles point, even though USF lost the third match 8-4.

Singles victories came in the Nos. 1, 2 and 3 spots.

Fabiana Taverna won in straight sets against Lindsey Dynof 6-0, 6-0; Patricia Kolendo defeated Elena deMendoza 6-1, 6-0 and Luisa Obando defeated Elisa Glas 6-1, 6-1.

Coming off the victory against BU, the Bulls carried their momentum into March 10’s match against Saint Louis, defeating the Billikens 6-1.

USF clinched the first point of the day by winning all three doubles spots, 8-5, 8-3, 8-5.

The only loss for the Bulls came in the No. 1 singles spot. USF’s Patricia Kolendo lost to SLU’s Melissa Lemus 7-5, 6-0.

USF’s No. 5 Gina Craig had a hard time putting away SLU’s Erin Kertsen. Craig won the first set 6-2, dropped the second, and came back to win the third set, 6-3.

Wednesday’s match against Marquette ended USF’s winning streak, as the Golden Eagles defeated the Bulls 6-1.

USF lost in all three doubles matches. The only point won by USF came in the No. 3 singles spot. Luisa Obando defeated Marquette’s Annabelle Espinosa 6-0, 7-6.

USF’s Belen Pandre in the No. 6 singles spot proved to be a challenge for Marquette’s Genevieve Charron. Charron won the first set, 6-4, but Pandre battled for the second set to win, 6-4, but dropped the last set, 4-6.

Wednesday USF will take on Clemson at 2 p.m. Clemson is ranked No. 19 in the nation and has a record of 10-2.