Still waiting for TV to get good and stop getting ‘real’

It’s just another average Tuesday night, I’ve got a tons of homework on my desk next to an open book that isn’t getting read. To my surprise, there’s nothing on TV except for those overhyped, overplayed and over-rehearsed excuses for “real” television.

Am I crazy, or is anyone else besides me sick of this reality TV craze? I mean seriously, how many Survivors, Joe Millionaires and American Idols can one person take?

What blows my mind is how 24.1 million people actually sat through the predictable ending to Joe “Blow” Millionaire. I mean, come on, who didn’t see it coming? They ended the show by making him an actual millionaire. Wow, like there’s no possible way I could’ve guessed that would happen.

The trend is easily traced back to MTV’s Real World, or as I refer to it, as the mind-numbing IQ-dropping genesis into pop culture’s obsession with watching the misery of others.

It’s been more than 11 seasons, and nothing’s different, and still more than a million viewers shamelessly tune in each week to see seemingly normal people argue over who ate the last of the peanut butter.

Oh my God, why hasn’t this show been canceled yet? Isn’t the viewing public tired of seeing the same show each and every season with the exception of a new, boring and uninteresting cast of dimwitted individuals?

What I’m saying is nothing new, but where did they find these people? The same stereotypes seem to be portrayed, as there’s always one naive roommate, one “bitch,” one “all-American,” one gay/lesbian, and then there is the sleazy one. I guess MTV plans on sticking to what works until it can find something else worth exploiting.

Survivor, the mammoth of all reality shows, has been about everywhere from the Amazon to the Outback. The only possible “uninhabitable” setting left is the Sahara desert. And trust me, I’d love to see that: a bunch of whiny, pathetic people without a shred of personality, sweating their rear ends off in a hot and almost inhospitable environment. Now that’s what I call television.

Is there anyone else who agrees that American Idol has passed its expiration date? It was at least a bit interesting last season, mainly because it was fresh, but this season, the show is about as exciting as watching paint dry. But, if you look on the bright side, no harmful fumes to kill the remainder of your brain cells left after watching an hour of Idol.

I love seeing someone’s dream torn to pieces on national television as much as the next guy, but Simon is getting to be a bit annoying. Seriously, if the rest of the American public or I still wanted to hear smart-ass comments, the host of The Weakest Link would still have a paying gig.

Now, thanks to the genius of top television executives, you can see washed-up celebrities living together, class reunions and a bachelorette.

If any network executives just happen to be reading this, please, I’m begging you, look for some new and more exciting programming.

That’s all I’m asking for.

Contact Pablo Saldana at oraclepablo@yahoo.com