Literary critic, columnist to speak about Cuban mulattas

The Latin American and Caribbean Studies department (LACS) is sponsoring a lecture today in Cooper Hall, room 459 at noon. The lecture will be presented by USF professor Madeline Camara.

Camara is a Spanish professor in the World Language department. The Cuban native has been teaching at USF for just less than a year. She is a literary critic and a columnist for El-Nuevo Herald in Miami.

“The word mulatta translated means the mixed race of Spaniards with Africans,” Camara said.

The lecture will focus on the mulatta woman as a national symbol in Cuban life.

“All women should attend this lecture,” said Maria Barrios, assistant director for the LACS department.

“The issue is about race and gender,” Barrios said. “This lecture is for people who are interested in how female images are used in political, national and media settings.”

Camara is a feminist who will use her social views and her Cuban nationality to explain how the female figure and image is constructed in Cuba. Camara will also speak on how this mulatta female image has changed over centuries under different regimes.

“This is a multicultural nation not sure of its identity,” said Barrios about the Cuban nationality, drawing comparisons to the matter of U.S. nationality. The lecture, in essence, will be the Latin version of an international women’s issue.

The lecture is part of the LACS department’s seminar series featuring USF faculty. The first ten to arrive to the lecture will receive a free lunch.