NASA coverage disrespects victims

Until investigation can be more extensively pursued, the media should cease attempts to place blame for the space shuttle Columbia tragedy. If for no other reason, this should be done out of respect for the families of victims.

Only hours after the tragedy, news stations and reporters were already speculating the causes of the space shuttle disaster. Shuttle wreckage had yet to be collected, and reporters were hastening to form uninformed explanations as to what may have occurred, and who was responsible. Little attention was given to the fact that accidents can happen when something as complicated as space travel is concerned.

American culture often demands instant answers and results. In this situation, however, the media should limit coverage of the space shuttle tragedy to relevant information. Prolonging coverage and sensationalizing this tragedy will increase the suffering of victims. An investigation should proceed, with the understanding that individuals personally affected by the tragedy are trying to move on with their lives.

There are plenty of major events occurring in the world. Coverage of the Columbia tragedy should be limited to newsworthy information and not speculation attempting to place blame. Recognizing this may be one of the ways Americans can honor victims of the tragedy most.

University Wire — University of Oklahoma