War with Iraq is a diversion

While it is good to see someone else making a case against Iraq other than President George W. Bush, parading Gen. Colin Powell around as the levelhead of democracy is a stretch. After all, during his time as America’s top military leader, he was known for his use of force.

Iraq, more than likely, has the weapons of mass destruction Bush has been accusing them of, but war with Iraq only helps the president and his administration with one thing. It’s not the protection of innocent lives, but to help Americans forget the fact that Bush and his cronies can’t find Osama bin Laden. The war with Iraq is a diversionary tactic, nothing more.

Colin Powell went before the United Nations Wednesday, pounding his fist and speaking very sternly about Iraq’s intention not to disarm and its lack of cooperation with Chief Weapons Inspector Hans Blix and his crew. However, the problem with Iraq and the development of weapons of mass destruction is not new. It’s been around since 1991 when America last invaded Iraq under the guidance of the first President Bush. Powell’s presence and testimony gives more credence to the fact that the problem with Iraq is a serious one, but again, by jumping on the president’s bandwagon, Powell has helped the president with his ruse to win over the American people.

A little over a year ago, the war in the Middle East was about al-Qaida and Osama bin Laden. How exactly did it shift to Saddam Hussein?

Hussein has the power to hold the Middle East hostage, however, it has not been proven whether he could be a threat to the United States. Therefore, Bush and his administration should come clean with the fact that this war is merely a diversionary tactic. It is a way to gain support for a president who has been widely criticized as he starts thinking about re-election.

Powell should consider what agenda he’s helping when he attempts to bully the United Nations to take action against Iraq: one that is good for America or one that is only good for its president.