End of three streaks?

When the University of South Florida women’s basketball team travels this weekend to face Conference USA opponents Memphis and Saint Louis, it will try to break three streaks.

The Bulls (5-14, 0-6) hope to pick up their first conference win of the season, their first road win of the season and break an eight-game losing streak.

The first chance will come Friday against Memphis with another opportunity Sunday in Saint Louis.

Time is running out for the Bulls this season. If they want to make it to the C-USA tournament, picking up a win on the road this weekend is crucial.

Should the Bulls lose both games this weekend, a shot at making the postseason conference tournament may be out of reach.

In the Bulls’ favor neither Memphis nor Saint Louis is playing very well. Both teams dropped at least four games at home, which gives USF a chance at coming home with a win.

On the other hand, the Bulls are a little banged up heading into this weekend. Limited in practice this week due to injuries are jen Kline (foot) and Sonia Cotton (toe), while Melissa Tape went down with a leg injury during Tuesday’s practice. Tape’s X-rays for a broken leg came back negative Wednesday afternoon, giving the team some good news.

USF coach Jose Fernandez said all three players, usually starters, will be a game-time decisions. So, the Bulls may need to look elsewhere for some production and will most likely turn to center Jameelah Trimble.

Trimble, coming off one of her best games in a Bulls uniform (a career-high 21 points and nine rebounds against UAB), will need to step up significantly this weekend, in order for USF to come home with its first win of 2003.

Adam Adkins can be reached at oraclesports@yahoo.com